Apr 23, 2014

Bright Week


We made it!  That's what I keep thinking as I am cleaning out the fridge..all the leftover fasting dishes going to the scraps.  (We have a septic system which means no garbage disposal.)  I hope the neighborhood dogs like veggies in the scrap pile...hehe!

 I emptied containers of bean salad, coleslaw, a bit of refried beans, orzo pasta with artichokes and capers, and I was doing pretty good until I came upon a container of hummus.  The site of that evoked an emotional response.  I am sick of hummus!  And then a few minutes later I was half tempted to eat the last little bit for lunch.  I guess in a way it's hard for this to be over.  So much of Lent revolves around the kitchen, and an Orthodox kitchen is truly a spiritual place.  So much of the Christian faith is centered in the home.

And on that thought...

Lisa A shared a series of talks on her blog entitled  The Good Wife: Five Lectures on the Christian Ideal.
The first lecture is free, and the remaining are only $10 for the complete download.  Well worth the donation!

The Christian ideal of womanhood is beautiful.  I have been thinking this week about brightening up my home, and then I saw this over at OCN... 

BRIGHT WEEK- the week after Lent in which we continue to practice the spiritual values we gained over the last 40 days.

I thought, "What spiritual values did I gain over the last forty days?"  What values must I practice to brighten our lives...our home? I can think of several.

Patience
Humility that calms anger
Kindness
Less talking
and most of all...
Consistency

I hope your Bright Week is exceptional.  How are you recouping, feasting, and practicing?  
Our Bright Week has been good so far.
Monday we had steaks from the grill.  Tuesday we went to vespers at the hermitage and shared a meal with the small community that is forming there. (So excited about that.)  Today we went to the park, and I am grilling hamburgers for dinner.  Thursday I hope I can get in my garden and plant a few things.  Friday Addy is going to a homeschool prom party!  Caroline is spending the night with her best friend.  Slade, the littles, and I are having ice cream sundaes.  The weekend is full with piano recital practice and St. Thomas Sunday.  
What are your plans for Bright Week?  Anything special?





4 comments:

  1. It's always so exciting when someone links to my blog! :-)

    Thank you for linking that talk on OCN. I'm having a hard time seeing any fruit from this Lent, even though I really tried hard and really struggled. So there must be something there.... maybe it's better if I don't know! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how you feel...to work hard and see no results. Maybe you cannot see because one of the things you gained was more humility. Just a thought...

      Delete
  2. Bright Week is nearly over and I spent more time in the kitchen than in church, that's for sure...I will go to Bright Saturday liturgy tomorrow.... "Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death" is playing in my mind and heart!
    Have enjoyed lamb steaks and cheese spread and am looking forward to making some lemon curd...very much enjoyed sharing in the cleaning out of your refrigerator, Amanda ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lemon curd...yum. I hope you are refreshed at service tomorrow. I'm glad you enjoyed sharing in the cleaning of my refrigerator...I wish I did! Hehe!

      Delete

I love to here from readers. Thank you for your comment!